In The Story Handbook, contributors Tim Ahern, William Cronon, John Elder, Peter Forbes, Barry Lopez, and Scott Russell Sanders present us with the power of stories, narratives of people and places, and how those stories can advance the work of land conservation toward creating meaningful change in our culture.
As Trust for Public Land president Will Rogers writes in his introduction, "true success in our work means moving land conservation out of the 'emergency room' of last-ditch efforts . . . To do this we will need to help create a fundamental change in how our society thinks about and treats land; we will need to nurture the flowering of a new land ethic. Stories may be our best way to get there."
The Trust for Public Land is a leader in conservation, to improve the quality of life in our communities and to protect our natural and historic resources for future generations. Visit our Web site at tpl.org.
- "Giving Way to the Story" by Peter Forbes
- "Landscape and Narrative" by Barry Lopez
- "Storytelling for the Media" by Tim Ahern
- "A Few Earthy Words" by Scott Russell Sanders
- "Hiking by Flashlight" by John Elder
- "Caretaking Tales" by Bill Cronon